friend: "yeah, isn't (person) Mormon?"
me: "Yes, (person) is. I am too, you know."
friend: "You are!? I had no idea. You don't seem like ... well, ..."
me: "I don't seem like a Mormon?"
friend: "I just didn't expect you to be Mormon."
This conversation made me realize there are a LOT of misconceptions about my faith.
(Someone else once told me I didn't believe in Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, his pastor forgot to mention that my church is officially The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.)
And I realize talking to LDS members (we like to use that nickname instead of "Mormon") can be scary, or "dangerous" of getting sucked into the waters of baptism. Sometimes, all you want is an answer to a question, but get a lot more than you asked for. (We just want to share what we have, remember that. We're a proselyting church because we don't want to keep what we have to ourselves.)
That is why mormon.org is such a great solution!
Check it out. There are endless answers to endless questions that you've always wondered. And there are members (including yours truly) that have created profiles where you can read their stories and why they're LDS and whatever else they want to tell the world. You can chat with missionaries online if you wanna, or get a free Book of Mormon in the mail. No strings attached! It's great, and you find me fully supporting it.
Word of the Day: Pervasive \per-VAY-siv\, adj; 1. Having the quality or tendency to permeate.
No comments:
Post a Comment