
This is the service I get in Canada. I laughed. :) Shout out to rogers hall, I guess.
Victoria was actually rather uninteresting, in my opinion. It felt very ... organized and compartmentalized for tourists. If that makes any sense. I didn't really have any luck with photography during our stay.




This is their Parliament building. Notice the art students behind the bush in the bottom right, learning how to use a 4x5 camera.

Victoria was our half-way point of our trip, I think everyone got hit with a wave of exhaustion. Everyone had their moment of shame during our two days there, so we are very happy to be out of that city and in this chill, relaxed area. Victoria was very tourist-centered, and our hostel was also a lounge/bar/cafe. Joe Ostraff put it best when he said, "That hostel was hostile." It was totally safe and clean, but just not comfortable. It felt like a major tourist city, without any real purpose to living there. I'm glad to be out of it.
Ucluelet has been a great change of pace. We're in Surfers Inn, and the owners also line up wetsuit/surf board rentals, and lessons. I haven't decided if I want to spend the money yet or not ... :)
This town has the same square mileage as 3 BYU campuses. We've walked around and checked it out; it is definitely small town, but very beautiful with some character. The ocean is just out the window, and there are fishermen and surfers here and there. This is the first place I've seen young people (besides Seattle ... but they were mostly inebriated.) which also has been refreshing. I'll be happy to be back on campus again with thousands of people my age.
Today we went on a nature hike along the coast, and Michelle, Laura and I explored the rocks. It felt like we were crossing over Mordor, and I was just expecting some slimy creature to crawl out of a hole. It was beautiful and adventurous, and I suggest good-natured exploring for any adult. It is an amazing stress-reliever to feel like a kid.


We went to a city about 30 kilometers from here ( I know, I've already converted to the metric system. But I usually forget and don't think about how 80 km/h is very different than 80 mph. :) and it was a cute town as well. This place is just covered with podunkness.


On the art front, Joe is having everyone in my class gather collage material that appeals to them, and then give it to me to collage with. I'm really excited to see what people give me, and what I can create.
This house we're staying in is so cute. There are several rooms with bunk beds and a kitchen, fireplace, and wrap around bench in the living room that fits probably 12-15 people comfortably. I like the cabin feeling, it makes me excited to go home to Colorado and take advantage of the nature there.
So far so good! I have to admit, I'll be ready to see my family again, and have a different choice of wardrobe. And eat real food. But things are still great.
Word of the day: ... same as the post previous.


No comments:
Post a Comment